The Klimataria history from 1927 to the present
The tavern Klimataria has travelled its own path through time in the historical center of Athens.
Specifically, the building is located on top of the Temple of Apollo and next to the first covered theater of Athens. This is how the Theatre Square and nearby perimeter roads like Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, Aeschylus got the name.
In the late 19th century, the site was used as a café for the ceremonies of the adjacent St. John’s chapel. In 1927 it was converted to taverna by Mr. Gerodimou who named it KLIMATARIA.
Next to the Varvakeio Market and the leather shops and shoe stores of the Psiri area, Klimataria, like most tavernas in the area at that time (DIPORTO, the Vangelis alley etc.) provided relaxation to people who worked in the area with bean soup, herring, “gardoumpes” and traditional home cooked food. Wine flowed from the oak barrels (mannes) and the space was warmed up by the breaths of the patrons who sat around the cast iron stove.
In the Klimataria file documents, later destroyed by fire, there is proof that Gerodimos had received many lawsuits because he wanted to convert the OINOMAGEIREIO (taverna) in to DIASKEDASTIRIO (fun house).
It is also mentioned that here played music Vamvakaris and Papaioannou with their orchestras.
In 1961 the restaurant “KOSMIKO” in Omonia Square (where Hondos Center is located today) was demolished, moved to the location of Klimataria and was renamed the “New KOSMIKO”. Nonetheless the new name was not well established.
In 1996 Pericles becomes the new owner and changes the name to “NEA AGORA” (mean. “new market”). The renaming effort falls again into vacuum. And this, either because Gerodimos threw good oil, or because the vine, if not of Dionysus, then certainly of Apollo complained about the symbol change.
1996 - 2005
Pericles is himself a musician and after a successful course in similar projects (KAFODEIO, Kottaras, Skordopisti) revives in Klimataria the former musical environment with remarkable musical shapes and draws a path defending the philosophy and culture of the tavern, which is now an endangered species, at least in the center of Athens.
In the dawn of 23 July, 2005 the Klimataria was wrapped in flames and was renovated without altering the characteristics of its style. The well-known painter and iconographer T. Regas carefully edited the colors and revived the stone and fallen plaster with absolute respect to the history and the aesthetics of the space.
2005 - ...
The Klimataria, in nearly a century of life in a multicultural environment and despite the terrible degradation of the Athens Historical Centre … is still alive like a rock band on stage…